The secret to this super thick, rich and creamy hot chocolate is homemade cashew milk. You will need to prep the cashews the day before. Don’t try to cheat and use the store bought stuff, it won’t yield the same results. The homemade cashew milk thickens when it heats up giving this drinking chocolate a texture similar to a pudding. You can sip it, dip things in it or eat it with a spoon!
Use your favorite bean-to-bar chocolate to make it extra special!
- 1 cup homemade cashew milk (recipe below)
- 2 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar or coconut sugar
- Heat the cashew milk on medium-low heat, whisking constantly.When it starts to bubble on the edges, add the chocolate and coconut sugar. Whisk constantly until chocolate is fully melted.
- The whole process should take about 5 minutes. The mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 3 cups water
- 2 pitted dates
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla (optional)
- pinch of salt
Jasmine co-founded Chocolate Codex as a way to share her enthusiasm for chocolate. She has a certificate in Chocolate making from Ecole Chocolat and she runs a foodblog called The Blenderist.